Zamfara massacre: 143 buried as search for more bodies continues | Dailytrust

Zamfara massacre: 143 buried as search for more bodies continues

At least 143 bodies have so far been recovered and buried in the wake of brutal attacks on Wednesday and Thursday on several communities...

Zamfara massacre
Zamfara massacre

At least 143 bodies have so far been recovered and buried in the wake of brutal attacks on Wednesday and Thursday on several communities in Anka and Bukuyyum local government areas of Zamfara State, Daily Trust gathered.

Recall that migrating terrorists loyal to terror kingpin, Bello Turji, who were displaced by fighter jets of the Nigerian Air Force from their enclaves in Fakai forest in Shinkafi Local Government Area, were moving southwards of Zamfara when they descended on the locals, killing many. 

Residents told our correspondent yesterday that more corpses were being recovered from bushes as some of the people were caught unawares on their farmlands.  

Our correspondent reports that the remains of some of the victims were decapitated or burnt beyond recognition.  

A resident identified as Babangida said, “One of the pathetic stories about the carnage is that women and children were not spared. As blazes ripped through residential houses, children and women were not allowed to escape because the terrorists stood outside, waiting for anyone coming out. 

“The charred bodies of the victims were later recovered and buried. Those who had managed to escape are taking shelter in some considerably safer communities. It was really very calamitous. 

“The communities that were assaulted are more than 10. This is because the armed men were moving from one community to another on motorbikes. Although they have withdrawn, they are not far from the raided villages,” he said.

A retired soldier told Daily Trust that over 250 people had been killed by the attackers.

“About 2,000 cattle and other domestic animals were rustled while dozens of residential houses and food stores were burnt to ashes. Even if the situation stabilises, the residents would be left without food to eat,” another source said.

Daily Trust had reported on Friday that five communities of Kurfa Danya, Kurfa Magaji Rafin Gero, Tungar Isa and Barayar Zaki in Bukkuyum and Anka local government areas were under attack.

The terrorists took over 48 hours killing the locals and burning their houses and farmlands.

A fighter jet dispatched to the area on a rescue mission could not achieve a lot because after sensing danger, the terrorists melted into the civilian population.

Another source said the terrorists used the people as human shields, making it difficult for the fighter jet to bomb them. “It was at night that they disappeared because it was practically impossible for the fighter jet to attack them,” he said.

The state government and security forces had not officially spoken about the attacks at the time of going to press.

Sources said the armed criminals were spotted setting tents in Gando forest in Bukkuyum Local Government Area in the southern part of the state. 

Editor’s note: This picture was used for illustration

Dear Reader,
Every day, we work hard to provide readers such as you with the most accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive information. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Your support means that Daily Trust can keep offering journalism to everyone in the world. Sign up for as little as N1,000 to become a member. Learn more about our membership here

Bank transfers can be made to:
Zenith Bank
1017257739
Media Trust Ltd


Please send details of your bank transfer to the email or Whatsapp number below so that we can contact you.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Inquiries:
Email: membership@dailytrust.com
Whatsapp: +234 806 990 3410