Sudan’s warring army and Rapid Support Forces paramilitary on Saturday said that they will resume talks on Sunday, even as air strikes and heavy fighting raged overnight around Khartoum in spite of an agreement to protect civilians.
Saudi Arabia, which has been hosting the talks aimed at securing a ceasefire deal, has also invited army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan to Friday’s Arab League summit in Jeddah, a senior Saudi diplomat said.
The conflict that broke out suddenly a month ago has killed hundreds, sent more than 200,000 people into neighbouring states, displaced another 700,000 inside the country and risks drawing in outside powers and destabilising the region.
In spite of Burhan’s invitation to the Jeddah summit, he is not expected to leave Sudan for security reasons, two other diplomats in the Gulf said.
- Senate Presidency: Eschew religious, ethnic sentiments, Yari writes Lawmakers
- Sudan Crisis: Airlines, NAHCON agree on $250 increase for hajj fare
Burhan was invited because he is head of Sudan’s Sovereign Council that was meant to be overseeing a planned transition to civilian rule before the conflict erupted, the Saudi diplomat said.
His rival RSF chief Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, known as Hemedti, is deputy head of the council.
“We haven’t yet received the names of the delegation, but we are expecting Sudan to be represented in the summit,’’ the Saudi diplomat said.
The two sides had earlier agreed on Thursday to a “declaration of principles’’ to protect civilians and allow humanitarian access, but there has been no let up in the fighting, with clashes and strikes ringing around Khartoum and neighboring areas.
In the resumed talks in Jeddah, the sides will start by discussing mechanisms to implement Thursday’s agreement, including plans for aid delivery, safe corridors and the removal of forces from civilian areas.
The Saudi diplomat said talks would then move onto ways to end the conflict, eventually paving the way for a civilian government. “The nature of the conflict affects the dialogue. Yet I found a very good spirit from both sides’’.
In public, neither side has shown any sign it is willing to compromise and they battled through previous truces.
Although the RSF has promised to uphold Thursday’s agreement, the army has not yet commented on it.
Neither side seems able to secure a quick victory, with the RSF dug into residential districts throughout the capital and the army able to call on air power. (Reuters/NAN)
Nigerians can now earn US Dollars by acquiring premium domain names, most clients earn about $7,000 to $10,000, all paid in US Dollars. Click here to learn how to start.