UPDATE: Four killed, five injured as bungalow converted to 3-storey building collapses in Lagos | Dailytrust

UPDATE: Four killed, five injured as bungalow converted to 3-storey building collapses in Lagos

Four persons have been confirmed dead while five persons sustained injuries after a building on Alayaki Lane, Lagos Island collapsed. The Lagos Terrorial Head...

Four persons have been confirmed dead while five persons sustained injuries after a building on Alayaki Lane, Lagos Island collapsed.

The Lagos Terrorial Head of National Emergency Management Agency, Ibrahim Farinloye, gave the update on the incident in the early hours of Sunday.

It was learnt that the three storey building which was under construction came down during a heavy rainfall in the area on Saturday.

UPDATE: Two killed, three injured in fresh Lagos building collapse

How I escaped death in Lagos building collapse – Tenant

He said, “One male body recovered just again, making 4 recovered dead and 5 rescued alive. The collapse building under construction was located within a compound and it was a frame structure.

“As of the time of the unfortunate collapse, the 3rd suspended slab concrete was already in place with ongoing internal partition. The building crumbled during a downpour at about 1345hours.”

Farinloye noted that the building was originally a bungalow bequeathed to the family members and awarded to a developer who was converting it into a 3 storey structure.

He added, “Alayaki Lane contains cluster of buildings and the rescue operation will have been hampered by narrow space. No one is claiming any of his/her relative is missing.

“Agencies that participated in operations are NEMA, LASEMA, Federal and State Fire Services, NSCDC, Police Disaster Management Unit, Lagos State Police Command, Ambulances and Nigeria Red Cross.”

The Permanent Secretary, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyitolu, said preliminary investigation revealed that the building was being constructed in violation of the safety protocols.

He said, “The agency responded to the incident which was already in violation of building safety protocols. It was discovered that the building had been captured by the LASBCA District Office and served with all statutory notices, sealed at district and central enforcement level.

“Further investigation showed that the developer had continued clandestine operations mostly at night and at the weekends.

“An unconfirmed number of people are still trapped inside the building. Two people have been rescued alive while another was recovered dead. Search and rescue operations ongoing.”

Giving a follow-up  report on Sunday midnigh, Oke-Osanyitolu said rescue and emergency operations had been completed at the site.

He however said three persons died and five injured.

“Five casualties rescued alive and 3 dead bodies recovered. We are now in ground Zero. Operation completed,” he added.

Lagos State has become notorious for building collapse in recent times, claiming lives and inflicting injuries.

No fewer than 10 persons were killed on Sunday, May 1, 2022 when a three storey building collapsed at Ebute Metta, Lagos Mainland.

Dear Reader,
Every day, we work hard to provide readers such as you with the most accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive information. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Your support means that Daily Trust can keep offering journalism to everyone in the world. Sign up for as little as N1,000 to become a member. Learn more about our membership here

Bank transfers can be made to:
Zenith Bank
1017257739
Media Trust Ltd


Please send details of your bank transfer to the email or Whatsapp number below so that we can contact you.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Inquiries:
Email: membership@dailytrust.com
Whatsapp: +234 806 990 3410