Not only is Zainab Haruna a young serial entrepreneur, she is also a TEDx speaker and the editor of In Her Words, an anthology of essays and stories of the lived experiences of African women on gender issues.
And these are not disparate happenstances – there is a common thread on all these caps she wears that you need to listen to: she speaks about women and youth, and some of her enterprises, like Soup N Stew, are community initiatives to support poor women.
- The month of March: Celebrating Nigerian women
- Women’s March: Celebrating Oby’s passion for a new Nigeria
Is there any need to hear more?
Well, here are a few things about Zainab Haruna:
- She is Programme Director at Step Up Nigeria, a CSO creatively building bridges for improved governance to tackle corruption.
- She is a development practitioner who has initiated and implemented projects that facilitate youth and women empowerment.
- She is the editor of In Her Words, an anthology of essays and stories that document the lived experiences of African women vis-à-vis gender equality.
- She founded Decipher Solutions, a youth-focused social enterprise, and Soup N Stew, a community initiative to support poor women in underserved communities.
- She is a One Young World Ambassador, and a TEDx speaker.
- She was made a member of the focal group for the Nigeria Youth Investment Fund, a N75 billion fund set up by the Ministry of Youths and Sports to support youth entrepreneurship in Nigeria.
- She served as a judge for the 2019 Hult Prize Regional and, in 2020, was on the judging panel for the Next Economy Impact Awards hosted by the Network of Incubators and Innovators in Nigeria (NIINE).
- She was a member of the local organizing committee for the DARE Africa Conference. A pan-African youth conference to promote innovation.