WHO records over 100 attacks on health care facilities in Ukraine | Dailytrust

WHO records over 100 attacks on health care facilities in Ukraine

A car burns inside the yard of a hospital in Mariupol, southern Ukraine
A car burns inside the yard of a hospital in Mariupol, southern Ukraine

The World Health Organisation (WHO) said it had recorded more than 100 attacks on health care facilities in Ukraine since the start of the Russian invasion on February 24.

The “grim milestone” was crossed on Thursday, the organisation said, adding that 73 people had been killed and 51 others injured.

Out of a total of 103 attacks, 89 have impacted health facilities and 13 have impacted transport, including ambulances, according to the WHO.

“We are outraged that attacks on health care are continuing. Attacks on health care are a violation of international humanitarian law,” said WHO chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

WHO representative in Ukraine, Jarno Habicht, said across the country, 1,000 health facilities were in proximity to conflict areas or in changed areas of control.

“Health workers throughout the country are risking their lives to serve those in need of medical services, and they, and their patients, must never be targeted,” Habicht said. (NAN)

Dear Reader,
Every day, we work hard to provide readers such as you with the most accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive information. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Your support means that Daily Trust can keep offering journalism to everyone in the world. Sign up for as little as N1,000 to become a member. Learn more about our membership here

Bank transfers can be made to:
Zenith Bank
1017257739
Media Trust Ltd


Please send details of your bank transfer to the email or Whatsapp number below so that we can contact you.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Inquiries:
Email: membership@dailytrust.com
Whatsapp: +234 806 990 3410