The new Vice Chancellor of Federal University, Kashere, Professor Umaru Alhaji Pate, the Kaigamma of Adamawa is the immediate past and pioneer Dean of the Faculty of Communication, Bayero University, Kano.
He is the current Dean, School of Postgraduate, Bayero University Kano.
Before relocating to BUK as a Professor in the Department of Mass Communication, he served as a Professor in the Department of Mass Communication at the University of Maiduguri where he rose through the ranks, beginning as a Graduate Assistant in 1988, to become an Associate Professor in 2002 and full Professor in 2007.
Below are key points we thought you should know about the erudite Communication scholar:
- He was born on January 4, 1964 at the District Head’s Palace, Song Local Government, Adamawa State.
- In 1971, Umaru Pate was enrolled into the Nassarawo Jereng LEA Primary School in the old Adamawa Division from where he completed in 1976 and proceeded to Government College Maiduguri.
- In 1982, Pate joined the College of Preliminary Studies, Yola, for the IJMB course that qualified him for a Direct Entry admission into the University of Maiduguri in 1984.
- Upon graduation with a Degree in Mass Communication in 1987, he was retained in the University on the recommendation of the Head of Department for the mandatory NYSC service year.
- Pate holds a PhD, Master of Philosophy and Bachelor of Arts degrees in Mass Communication obtained in 1997, 1990 and 1987, respectively.
- Professor Pate took appointment as a Graduate Assistant at the University of Maiduguri in October 1988 and immediately left for the University of Ghana, Legon, on fellowship for a Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) Degree in Communication Studies and completed in 1990. In 1993, he enrolled for a PhD Degree at the University of Maiduguri and graduated in February 1997.
- He rose on the academic ladder to become a Professor of Media and Society in October 2007.
- At different times during his pre-degree and degree study period, he had worked as a part time reporter, newscaster/reader and presenter at the FRCN Kaduna and NTA Yola.
- Professor Pate was appointed by UNESCO headquarters in Paris as a Director representing Africa on the six persons Board of Directors of the prestigious International Network of UNESCO Professors in Communication (ORBICOM) with headquarters at the University of Quebec at Montreal, Canada in November, 2017.
- He has served the UN system in Afghanistan, Liberia, Sierra Leone and the Cameroons. Pate has featured and contributed regularly on national and international media mostly focussing on current affairs. He was also on some committees of the federal and some state governments at different times.
- Professor Pate is a senior councillor and ranking Kingmaker in the Adamawa Emirate Council where he is the Kaigamma (Chief of Army Staff).
- He chairs the Board of Directors of Pulaaku FM Radio in Yola and serves on several other boards.
- Professor Pate has over sixty six national and international publications comprising of journal articles, book chapters, monographs and books published in different parts of the world.
- He is a recipient of numerous academic awards and recognitions from many institutions and organizations.