1John 2:3-6, “And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.  He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.  But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.  He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
We are commanded to walk as Jesus walked. Walking as Jesus walked is a powerful evidence that we are in Him.
How did Jesus walk?
- He obeyed his Father in all things. He obeyed the Father even unto death. The proof of salvation is love for God and the proof of love for God is obedience. Obedience is proof we are saved. It is proof we are in Him. It is proof we love him. The Bible says you are a liar if you claim to know Him and do not keep His commands. What are we commanded to do?
- We are commanded to love God and one another.
- We are commanded to win souls and make disciples.
- We are commanded to live holy.
- He loved people. He forgave those who offended Him. He even called Judas friend even when He knew he (Judas) came to betray Him with a kiss. If you do not walk in love especially towards people in the church, you may not be saved after all! We must love even sinners if we are to win them.
- He prayed fervently for people. He prayed for those who loved Him. He prayed for those who hated Him. He interceded for sinners and embarked on spiritual warfare for the salvation of souls. I believe He prayed for healing and deliverance for the people before coming out each day. The Father gave Him the healing anointing. Many people are hurting and need help. We should intercede for them and command the devil to let go of them. We ought to pray as Jesus prayed- for sinners, our enemies and people in need.
He went about doing good. He healed the sick and cast out demons. He demonstrated the power of God regularly. He did signs and wonders. People followed the signs to Him and then He gave them the Word. We must pray to produce signs if people are to follow us. We must boldly lay hands on people who are sick. We must cast devils out of them if they are to believe our gospel.
He fed the hungry. Christians ought to set up NGOs to take care of the homeless, alcoholics, the poor, provide scholarship for indigent students, support orphanages, etc. I was thrilled when a sister came to me one Sunday after Service and asked me to pray for her for divine supply for the orphanage she was building. We have been supporting her ever since. Believers should seek for divine assistance to set up rehabilitation centres for the homeless and destitute.
- He went where the sinners were. We must remember that we too were once unsaved and therefore treat the unsaved with respect and dignity. We must get involved with them in a holy way. Until we go they will not come. Until we go, they will not be saved. Jesus did not sit and wait for them to come, He sought them out. Luke 19:10, “For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.” We have to seek them before we can save them. He did not go to partake of their sin. He did not go to condemn them either, he went to show them a better way- in love. He did not tell people how bad they were, He told them how much better they could be if they follow God and not the devil both now and hereafter. Our neighbours are waiting for us to preach to them. Our colleagues are waiting to hear us present Jesus in a way they can understand. They want us to persuade them, be patient with them, take them to fellowship, pray for them, counsel them and help them with their needs.
Jesus won souls regularly. He went to rescue them. We must all embark on a rescue mission. We must embark on evangelism. We must not just stop at inviting people to church; we must introduce them to the Kingdom of God, we must introduce the Saviour to them.
He preached the gospel of the Kingdom of God. He introduced to people the Kingdom of God- a better Kingdom than the one they were used to. His focus was not sin but a better life for the sinner. Everyone wants a better life; show them how they can get it.
We must obey His commands if we are to enjoy His wealth. Job 36:11, “If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasures.” If you don’t believe that, God cannot help you.
1John 3:21-22, “Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.  And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.”
If our prayers must be answered, we must constantly spread the resurrection message as well as the love of God. We must constantly refer the needy to Christ. John 15:16, “Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.”
If our prayer must be answered, we must obey the commands of the Lord.
There is a better quality of life waiting for you if you will serve God on His own terms.
Jesus took your place and died for you; will you take His place and live for Him? He went to the Cross for you so you can go to the world for Him. Jesus went to the Cross to rescue you; will you go to the world and rescue others for Him? He spent all His life for you; how much of your life are you willing to spend for Him?
Recently on our way to church we saw a car parked by the side of the road and people were trying desperately to revive the driver of the car. He had slumped and apparently died. He had expired! He left home that day never to return and that was not his plan. He was a young man hustling to make ends meet.
You will live long, in Jesus name; but what have you accomplished for Jesus? How many souls will you present to Him when you meet Him? How many people will make heaven because of your witness? How many lives have you touched with all that He has given to you? You can start today to walk as Jesus walked.
Bishop Dr. Charles Olowojoba is the General Overseer of Dayspring Bible Church Worldwide with HQ in Abuja, Nigeria & President, Dayspring Christian Ministries Int’l. Website: www.dayspringcmi.org e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Help line: 08035150515