Media Trust Limited, publishers of DAILY TRUST NEWSPAPER and other titles is desirous of recruiting competent, self-motivated and result-oriented candidates to fill the below position:
Position: Business Editor
Gender: Male or Female (Preferable)
The ideal candidate will lead a team of reporters to produce cutting edge reports and analysis of business events, trends and personalities. The job holder will perform a variety of editorial duties, such as editing, laying out, and revising content of written materials, in preparation for publication.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the business team to plan and execute effective coverage of local and international business stories
- Prepare, rewrite and edit business stories, reports, interviews and features
- Supervising and monitoring of business reporters
- Plan the contents of business pages in accordance to the Media Trust style and editorial policy
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources
- Review and approve news story submitted by reporters, prior to publication
- Develop stories and content ideas, considering readers and audience appeal
- Answer to different title editors who commission on the business desk for specific stories/analysis
- Assign topics, events and stories to individual reporters for coverage
- Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with the Editor, Daily Trust regarding changes in content or publication
- Monitor news-gathering operations to ensure utilization of all news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other reports.
- Meet frequently with business departments to strategize on revenue generations to the company
- Select local, state, national and international news items received form wire services, based on assessment of items’ significance and interest value.
- Any other duty assigned
Qualification and Experience
- Minimum of a degree in Mass Communication, Journalism, Economics or Business. A master’s degree in Economics will be an advantage.
- Minimum of 10 years’ cognate experience with at least 5 years at a middle editorial position
- Membership of relevant professional bodies is important.
Skills and Competencies
- Rich professional experience in editorial work
- Ability to reduce complex ideas to simple and easy to follow stories
- Understands the structure and content of the English Language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Knowledgeable about media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral and visual media
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Has knowledge of business, financial, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the business politics.
- Computer literate and knowledgeable about Microsoft Office Suite
- Has a business drive, ability to work in a fast-paced environment, is flexible and has a ‘’hands-on’’ approach
- Digital proficiency to be able to produce stories for online
To apply, go to career.dailytrust.com