As the winter transfer market gathers momentum, we take a look at the latest news, including Arsenal’s search for creativity in the midfield, what becomes of Ozil, the search for Alaba’s new home and more.
Arsenal consider move for Emi Buendia
Arsenal are monitoring the situation of Argentine Emi Buendia but have yet to make a formal offer for the 24-year-old Norwich midfielder.
Arsenal are investigating a possible player-plus-cash deal for Buendia, to try and persuade Norwich to sell the highly-rated midfielder, with 21-year-old English midfielders Joe Willock and Reiss Nelson among the players they are prepared to offer the Canaries, according to Independent.
But Sky Sports say lucrative offers for Buendia, English full-back Max Aarons, 21, and English midfielder Todd Cantwell, 22, will be ignored over the next month as Norwich look to return to the Premier League.
De Bruyne to reject Manchester City’s contract?
Kevin De Bruyne is reportedly set to reject Manchester City’s first contract offer and is growing concerned at the lack of progress in talks over a new five-year deal.
De Bruyne’s current contract still has two-and-a-half years remaining on it, but City opened talks with him last year as they wanted to reward him with an improved, long-term extension.
However, no agreement has been reached yet and according to The Times, De Bruyne has been left disappointed by City’s first offer and is likely to turn it down.
The Belgian midfielder, who played a starring role in City’s 3-1 victory over title rivals Chelsea on Sunday, is understood to earn in the region of £280,000-a-week on his present deal.
But there are a number of other Premier League stars on more lucrative deals, such as Manchester United’s David de Gea and Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil, who pocket an eye-watering £375,000 and £350,000 a week respectively.
The 29-year-old picked up the PFA Players Player of the Year award and UFEA’s best midfielder in Europe gong last season and has been a key figure for City once again this term.
Wage demand may stop Alaba
Bayern Munich and Austria utility player, David Alaba’s wage demands are proving a stumbling block with regard to the 28-year-old’s prospective move to Real Madrid, according to Goal.
However, Real Madrid are still expected to sign Alaba, beating Manchester United and Barcelona to his signature. as par Star.
Barcelona pulled out of the transfer race for Alaba due to financial instability.
‘Alli goes nowhere’
Tottenham are not looking to sell or loan out Dele Alli during the January transfer window and expect the midfielder to stay and fight for his place in the team, according to Sky Sports.
Alli has made only four appearances for Spurs in the Premier League this season, and has just two goals and one assist in 11 games in all competitions.
The 24-year-old was the subject of several bids from Paris Saint-Germain – who have just appointed former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino as their new head coach – in the summer window.
But Spurs do not want to allow Alli to leave as they continue to compete in four different competitions.
Alli’s lack of opportunities at Tottenham have also seen him drop out of the England squad.
Despite being a key member of the side that reached the World Cup semi-finals in 2018, he has not played for his country since June 2019.
Ramos to Manchester City?
Manchester City are closely monitoring Sergio Ramos’ situation at Real Madrid with an eye to signing him as a free agent this summer, multiple sources have told ESPN.
The Madrid captain is yet to renew his contract at the Bernabeu, which expires on June 30, and is now free to negotiate with other clubs since Jan. 1.
Manchester City are aware that a deal would be complicated but are looking to reinforce their defence ahead of next season.
Sources told ESPN that Pep Guardiola is a fan of Ramos and would be keen on a deal for the veteran centre-back.
Ramos will turn 35 in March but City’s assessment is that he is still able to perform at the highest level and would be an “interesting” option to provide leadership and experience at the back.
Guardiola’s options in the position are Ruben Dias, 23 — signed from Benfica in September — Nathan Ake, 25, and John Stones and Aymeric Laporte, both 26.
Arsenal offer Ozil to Juventus
While Arsenal are planning for future signings, they are also thinking about making some sales in this window.
After left-back Sead Kolasinac, 27, officially agreed to rejoin Bundesliga minnows Schalke, the focus has shifted toward selling Greek center-back Sokratis Papastathopoulos and German midfielder Mesut Ozil.
The German midfielder has been offered to Juventus in recent weeks according to CBS sports, but the Bianconeri have refused because they are betting on Dejan Kulusevski as a future talent in that role.
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta expects a quality midfielder in January as a reinforcement.