Traders at the Igbona Market in Osogbo, Osun State, on Monday lamented their losses after a fire disaster that destroyed wares in many shops.
The traders said goods worth millions of naira were destroyed in their shops and that the fire incident had wreaked their businesses.
- Insecurity: Gen. Abdulsalami denies link with bandits, terrorist groups
- Niger Senator wants electronic voting mandatory for 2023 polls
Some residents said the fire was caused by electric spark but no official information from the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBEDC) to ascertain this. One of the shop owners in the marked whose goods were destroyed by fire, Mr Nicholas Balogun, said he got a call that his shop was on fire and that when he got there, there was nothing to pick up as the fire razed his shop completely.
Another trader in the market, Mrs Sola Ebunolu, said she had just bought new items that she wanted to sell in the Sallah period but the fire destroyed all the wares in her shop.
The Public Relations Officer for the Federal Fire Service in the state, Mrs Adijat Basir, said the fire would have done a lot more damage if it was not quickly put out.