Peace Anyiam Osigwe is a Nigerian filmmaker and an executive in the entertainment. During her lifetime, she was referred to as the “Queen of Nollywood films” due to her outstanding impact to promote the Nigeriian movie industry.
Sadly, on the 10th of January 2023, the Imo state-born filmmaker died after she laying in a state of comatose for a period of time, several thespians and her family members had also taken to their social media accounts to mourn the death of an icon.
Things to know about Peace Anyiam Osigwe
- Despite being a Nigerian, Peace Anyiam attended Oxford Brookes University in England where she had a degree in Law and Political Science. Despite having a passion for entertainment, she also ventured into studying Law and Politics.
- Peace Anyiam is from the prominent Osigwe Anyiam-Osigwe family in Nkwerre, Imo State. She is the only girl in a family of eight children.
I can miss major exam for Burna Boy’s concert- Bella Shmurda
CEO of Africa Movie Academy Awards, Peace Anyiam is dead
- In 2005, Anyiam-Osigwe founded the Africa Film Academy, now known as the Africa Movie Academy Awards, a body that oversees the film ceremony. The award ceremony is reputed to be one of the most recognized awards for Africans in the filmmaking sector. At the 10th edition, she stepped down as the Chief Executive Officer of the AMAA, however, in 2015, she began the AfricaOne initiative to commemorate Africans in the entertainment industry.
- It should be noted that she toed the path of her mother, Dorothy Chinyere Anyiam-Osigwe who was honoured with the award of the Officer of the Order of the Niger bestowed to her by former president, Olusegun Obasanjo for her philanthropic activities in Nigeria. In 2012, Peace Anyiam was conferred as a Member of the Order of the Federal Republic by the Nigerian government under the Goodluck Jonathan rule for her contribution to the entertainment industry.
- Among several awards, Anyiam was honoured with the African Film Pioneer Award at the African Film Festival, TAFF in 2019.
- Anyiam-Osigwe is also an author of written poetry. She has three books to her credit. In an interview with Alana Herro, she described poetry as one of the highways for conveying her perception and knowledge of things around her.
- Anyiam-Osigwe’s career on television began with her discussion show, “Piece off my mind”, which focused on people’s reactions to societal issues that are not regularly seen in the mainstream media. Her talk show was centred on issues of advocacy for individuals that society usually gives little attention to or neglect. She also cited the African caste system such as child trafficking, and women’s equality as areas of interest to her in film and television.
- At the early stage of the music duo, P-Square’s career, Anyiam-Osigwe was responsible for managing them. She directed their first music video “Senorita” in 2002
Nigerians can now earn US Dollars by acquiring premium domain names, most clients earn about $7,000 to $10,000, all paid in US Dollars. Click here to learn how to start.