The mother of a 20-year-old victim of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Mrs Arekemase, has said she became blind after her son, Kabiru Arekemase, was killed by men of the SARS.
She said her late son was killed for refusing to bribe the police officers after several threats to his life.
Narrating the incident at the ongoing #EndSARS panel sitting in Ibadan on Friday, she said her son had on several occasions told the men of SARS that he was not involved in any illegitimate business but they eventually killed him.
She said: “My son was arrested by SARS and detained for four months over false allegation of armed robbery even though there was no victim of the offence.
“He was later charged and arraigned at the Chief Magistrate Court, Iyaganku on 8th of August, 2006 and acquitted.
“My son was re-arrested by SARS and taken into custody four months after he was acquitted by the court for his failure to meet the SARS monetary demands. While in custody, I used to visit him and take food to him, but one of the SARS officials told me one day that my son had been wasted (killed) by SARS.
“I wept for many years which later led to my total blindness. I even requested for the corpse of my late son but all my pleas fell on the deaf ears.”
Meanwhile, the Arekemase family is demanding for N250 million compensation from the federal government, through the Nigeria Police Force over the death of their son.
They are claiming compensation for malicious arrest and prosecution of their son which led to his extra-judicial killing by SARS operatives.