Parents, mostly mothers, Thursday, protested against the reported re-engagement of an alleged paedophile and predator, one Mr Valentine Offiong, as a teacher at their children’s school in the Ekorinim area of Calabar.
The parents decried the action of Emeraldfield School and raised the alarm that the alleged paedophile could still have access to their wards and children.
- My parents’ lifestyle influenced mine – Yakolo Indimi
- Students, parents express disappointment as SSANU, NASU begin strike Oct 5
They threatened to sue the school if the school authority does not rescind its decision to re-engage Offiong, who had reportedly been laid off twice before for the same reason.
One of the parents who relayed her own experience, Mrs Elizabeth Ekong said she once drew the attention of the school sometime before the COVID-19 lockdown over suggestive videos, graphic materials, and amorous SMS he sent to her 12-year-old daughter.
Reacting, the school administrator, Mrs Bridget Amgbah acknowledged that the alleged child molester had been sacked before the COVID-19 lockdown but said it was not true that he was re-engaged.
“He is a fine arts teacher and good at decoration.
“We merely invited him to help decorate some offices before the full resumption of the school next week.
“It is true that a particular parent came with such complaint and showed us what we saw as inappropriate text messages and sexual graphics and we had to invite the suspect.
“We had apologised to the parent, and sacked the man,” she said.
Also reacting, the Head of Child Network Protection, Barrister James Ibor said: “The school ought to report the matter to the police and department of social welfare for thorough investigation and clearance. They must not put the lives of the children at risk by re-engaging him.”