Philippians 4:6-9 NKJV, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;  and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.  Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy–meditate on these things.  The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.”
One thing you must avoid if you are to be successful in prayer is ANXIETY. “Be anxious for nothing…” It’s a condition for answered prayer. It’s almost like a command. It means you can decide whether to be anxious or not. It means it’s under your control. The dictionary defines anxious as feeling or showing worry, nervousness, or unease about something with an uncertain outcome. Uncertain outcome. This is the reason people worry. They are unsure of the outcome of their circumstances especially after praying.
- Senate gets ultimatum to probe ‘contract scam’ in NPC
- Obi of Onitsha: A phone call stopped me from boarding attacked Abuja-Kaduna train
When you pray, you take your burden to God and leave it there. When you allow yourself to be anxious after you have prayed, it means you have gone back to collect the burden from God. In that case, He will leave you to handle it yourself.
Once your request is made, leave the matter with God. Don’t take it back from Him.
Anxiety is one of the cheap weapons Satan uses to rob people of answers to their prayer. Anxiety is the manifestation of fear and unbelief.
How To Avoid Anxiety
Let me show you how to be sure of the outcome of your prayers and avoid anxiety.
1. Delight yourself in the Lord. “Delight thyself also in the LORD; And he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.” Psalm 37:4 KJV. How do you delight yourself in the Lord? By delighting yourself in His Word. Effective prayer stands on the promises of God. That means you have to know what is promised regarding your desire specifically and answered prayer generally.
Looking at amazing results of delighting in the Lord: “Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.” Isaiah 58:14 KJV
Until the promise of God means the world to you, until you esteem the promise of God as the most precious thing in your life, you will not be successful in prayer. 2Peter 1:3-4.
It’s only in the Word of God that you know what’s given to you or what’s promised you. “According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:” 2 Peter 1:3 KJV
Notice it says through the knowledge of God. You know God through His Word. You can’t trust God if you don’t know Him. The extent to which you know God is the extent to which you can trust Him.
You must realize that it is the word that becomes flesh. It’s the Word you know and believe 100% that becomes reality in your life.
“Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.” 2 Peter 1:4 KJV
Understand that God is not obligated to give you what He hasn’t promised you.
Find out the conditions for obtaining your desire and fulfill them. Practice the Word. If it says have no anxiety, reject anxiety when it comes. Take pleasure in the Word particularly in doing it. Your breakthrough comes from practicing the Word of God. Practice love. Walk in love. 1Corinthians 13. Read it in NIV. That’s why we’re commanded to forgive one another. And remember, faith works by love.
2. Switch focus. Keep looking at the Word, not the waves. Peter was walking on water until he saw the waves. Then he began to sink. The waves made him anxious and fearful. He lost his faith. Once you pray, stop looking at the problem, meditate on the promise of God quickened in your heart by the Holy Spirit. Focusing on the waves will make you sink but focusing on the Word will make you swim. Here is the thing, revelation loses its intensity with time, that’s why you have to keep looking at it to keep it fresh in your mind. Stop looking at your problem. Focusing on your problem reduces your faith to the point it can no longer sustain you. Look for the hand of the Master. Look in His direction. Look unto the Lord, the Author and finisher of our faith. Read that revelation you are standing on and study the Word of God. Read testimonies of others who survived a similar problem. This will inspire your faith. Attend every fellowship meeting and listen attentively to the word preached. Meditate on the promise or promises of God regarding your desire to keep your mind focused on it. Joshua 1:8. Get fresh revelation from God while waiting. God does not speak once depending on the magnitude of the goal. He spoke to Abraham and encouraged him several times while they were waiting for Isaac. A fresh encounter can strengthen your faith more than anything else. There is nothing like a fresh inspiration when you are down.
3. Cry out to the Lord for help. Pray. Peter cried out to the Lord for help. Prayerless people can drown even in the presence of the Lord. Ask the Holy Spirit for help. Keep praying, especially in tongues. We must constantly return to the Lord for inspiration. Get a fresh Word. When the disciples of Jesus were threatened, they gathered and prayed. God responded by shaking the place and filling them afresh with the Holy Spirit. Their confidence skyrocketed. Acts 4:
4. Praise and give thanks for answered prayers each time anxiety starts to creep in.
You will not drown in your problem. God is waiting for you to ask for help. You will not go under, in Jesus name. Your breakthroughs will manifest shortly, in Jesus Name!
Bishop Dr Charles Olowojoba is the General Overseer of Dayspring Bible Church Worldwide with HQ in Abuja, Nigeria & President, Dayspring Christian Ministries Int’l.