A nurse and a student were on Thursday morning electrocuted in separate homes at Wadata, a suburb in Makurdi, the Benue State capital.
Our correspondent reports that three other people sustained injuries following a surge of power by the Jos Electricity Distribution Company ((JEDCO).
- NYSC Trust Fund long overdue – Gbajabiamila
- 1 killed, houses burnt as Benue communities resume clash
Residents of the area told journalists that the incidents occurred simultaneously at about 8am after JEDCO restored power.
A resident said the nurse, who worked in a private hospital, and the Junior Secondary School (JSS) student were electrocuted in the process of disconnecting their appliances from the power source when they discovered the unusual voltage.
He said, “As soon as we noticed high voltage many people rushed to disconnect their appliances and in the process two of them were electrocuted.
“My neighbour, who is a nurse, was said to be using electric cooker and as she tried disconnecting it from the power source she got electrocuted, so also a JSS student in another compound.
“Three other people were also affected as they sustained injuries and were rushed to a hospital.”
The regional manager of JEDCO, Felix Adamu, said, “Some people from the community have come here to report the case but we have not gone there to find out the root cause.
“All what they told is what you have heard. Because the people are restive, coupled with serious tension in the community, they advised that we should not go there today (Thursday).
“I know there were electrocutions, but I cannot comment on the cause until I go there to inspect it tomorrow (Friday). I have asked the community to take inventory; we are still waiting for them.”
Contacted, the police spokesperson in the state, Catherine Anene, confirmed the incident, but said she was yet to get the details.