The Federal Government has said that although the Lebanese authorities are still assessing the impact of the damage caused by the August 4, 2020, deadly explosion that occurred in the main Seaport in Beirut so far, no reported case of Nigerian nationals among the dead.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated this in a statement issued to newsmen in Abuja on Monday and signed by its Spokesperson Ferdinand Nwonye.
- Universities, Polytechnics, Others To Begin Post-UTME Test Sept. 7 — JAMB
- Beirut Explosion: What is ammonium nitrate?
The statement said FG commiserated with the Lebanese Government and its people over the unfortunate incident which resulted in the death of over 160 persons and thousands wounded.
The incident which is reported to have been caused by a blast inside a warehouse, released a strong shockwave, causing catastrophic damage to infrastructure and buildings, in different parts of the city.
The statement said FG called for international support to facilitate the rebuilding process and stressing that it is in solidarity with Lebanon in this time of grief.
Meanwhile, the Lebanese Prime Minister, Hassan Diab on Monday announced his resignation, after many accused the country’s leaders of corruption and negligence.
He made the announcement in a televised address to the nation stating he has come to realize that “Corruption in Lebanon is bigger than the state”.
Diab said he is taking “a step back” so he can stand with the people and “fight the battle for change alongside them”.