One of the gunmen trapped within the Medium Security Custodial Center, Jos on Sunday after invading the facility has been shot dead in the gun duel.
The spokesman of the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS), Francis Enobore, in a statement on Monday said the body of the attacker was identified among the 11 people killed.
- China: We won’t take over Ugandan airport over loan default
- Canada confirms two cases of Omicron COVID variant in Nigerian travellers
The attackers, who stormed the custodial centre at about 1720hrs on Sunday 28th November 2021, engaged the NCoS armed squad personnel in a fierce gun battle before breaking into the yard.
“Sadly, one of the NCoS Armed Squad personnel paid the supreme price in the encounter while 9 inmates also lost their lives.
“Another staff of the Service was shot in the hand and six inmates were also injured in the attack,” he said.
262 inmates escaped
Meanwhile, some of the attackers and a total of 262 inmates escaped in the melee before reinforcement could come from sister services.
However, Enobore said 10 of them have so far been recaptured leaving 252 at large.
He said the Controller-General of Corrections, Haliru Nababa, had condoled with the family and friends of the officer who paid the ultimate price in the encounter, promising that the death will not be in vain as all the perpetrators will be hunted and made to face the full wrath of the law.
He thanked the officers and men of other security agencies for the assistance in bringing the situation under control and assured members of the public that the safety of inmates, including their care and support, will continue to be a top priority in his administration.
He called for collaboration from patriotic individuals to apprehend the fleeing inmates as well as volunteering credible intelligence that could nip such ugly incidents in the bud.
Jos Medium Security Custodial Centre as at the time of attack had 1,060 inmates comprising 560 pre-trial detainees and 500 convicts.