More families displaced by insurgency that are gradually returning to their homes after living for years in temporary settlements in Maiduguri and other relatively peaceful locations.
Government has built houses in Auno, Dalori, Damboa, Ngamdu and Bama towns for returnees with water facilities, hospitals and schools and pledged to shut down makeshift settlements before long. Thousands of displaced people returned to their ancestral homes in Borno last year.
A total of 3,883 displaced persons from Abadam LGA living in Mohammed Goni Islamic and Legal Studies (MOGOLIS), Maiduguri were relocated to Auno town in Konduga LGA and Damasak in Mobbar LGA on May 28, because Abadam is reportedly not safe due to terrorists’ activities there.
Each of the 480 heads of the households was given N50,000 as emergency relief in addition to food supplies.
The Commissioner, Reconstruction Rehabilitation and Resettlement, Engineer Mustapha Gubio, said the displaced families agreed to return to safe locations to restart their lives.
Similarly, a total of 741 displaced people from Bama, Konduga and Damboa LGAs living in the NYSC Camp were resettled after receiving emergency cash relief of up to N100,000.
Eventually, activities at both NYSC Camp and MOGOLIS, which served as temporary settlements for displaced persons have been discontinued.
Another 500 displaced persons from Marte LGA who took refuge in Monguno, were on June 2 transported back to Marte.
The government allocated houses to the returnee families, the sum of N30, 000 and food supplies.
The inhabitants are expected to cultivate their farms and produce rain-fed crops while irrigation is being transformed, one of the returnees said.