Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) has reached agreement for herders to stop night grazing, underage grazing and illegal occupation of government reserves.
The agreement was reached at a meeting with the Nigerian Governors Forum, led by Kayode Fayemi, on Monday in Akure.
- Many feared dead, houses burnt as IPOB, police, army clash in Orlu
- FG approves recruitment of 30,000 agric graduates for NALDA
The meeting had in attendance the governors of Jigawa, Kebbi, Ekiti, Osun, Oyo and Ondo.
The meeting held at the International Centre for Culture and Events (DOME), Alagbaka was aimed at finding lasting solutions to the incessant killings, kidnapping and crises between herdsmen and farmers in the state.
Among the resolution of the meeting were:
- “That security and welfare of the people of Nigeria is the primary purpose of Government as enshrined in the 1999 constitution of Nigeria as amended.
- “The stakeholders are committed to the unity and indivisibility of Nigeria.
- “Insecurity is a national challenge and not peculiar to any tribe or region but must be addressed by the cooperation of all.
- “The order of the Ondo State Governor was misconstrued and misrepresented by a section of the media. He only ordered those occupying the Forest Reserves in Ondo State illegally to quit.
- “Criminals should be apprehended and punished, no matter their origin, class or status.
- “Security agencies have been trying to stem the tide of criminality in the country but must step up their efforts in the fight.
- “There is the need to build partnership for peace and security with MACBAN and jointly wage war against criminality.
- “No one had sent anyone away from any state or region but all hands must be on deck to fight criminality.
- The meeting further agreed that MACBAN is a peace-loving, law-abiding organization which does not habour or condone criminals and agreed that:
- Night grazing should be banned henceforth
- Underage herding is Inimical to security and hence be banned
- Occupation of State Forest Reserves illegally is condemned.
- “MACBAN also suffers insecurity and kidnapping and thus desire peaceful coexistence.
- “MACBAN is ready for any peaceful move by the states to engender security.
- “Fake news is another issue that makes our security worse than solving it.
- “There must be an enduring framework with MACBAN in a way that will help address security issues.
- “That free range grazing must be stopped to avoid conflicts between the farmers and the herders
- “Strengthening an alternative security arrangements and make them complementary to the mainstream security agencies in Nigeria.
- “MACBAN should embrace and be committed to modern breeding process by creating grazing reserves and practice ranching to prevent cattle roaming about.
- “Standing Committee comprising of farmers, MACBAN and the Government should be set up in each state (where they don’t exist) to ensure synergy and result.
- “We must create economic opportunities for our people and reduce opportunities for criminalities in our country
Earlier, Ondo state Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu insisted that those occupying the forest illegally must come out and register with government like farmers in the state.
He said over 70,000 farmers have registered with the state government.
According to him, the government must be able to identify those in the forest to be sure criminality is nipped in the bud.
“We have serious security challenges and it is a serious matter, let bb us all work together to drive the criminals out of the forest,” the governor pleaded.
However, he said he has a duty to his people and everyone in the state.
Governor Fayemi also speaking said the problem is confronting everyone but was happy they were meeting to discuss nation building.
He said security is not just a South West challenge but a national one.
He however blamed the media saying what Nigerians have been seen in a section of the media was unfortunate adding that we be must all respond to the security situation.
Nigerians can now earn US Dollars by acquiring premium domain names, most clients earn about $7,000 to $10,000, all paid in US Dollars. Click here to learn how to start.