✕ CLOSE Online Special City News Entrepreneurship Environment Factcheck Everything Woman Home Front Islamic Forum Life Xtra Property Travel & Leisure Viewpoint Vox Pop Women In Business Art and Ideas Bookshelf Labour Law Letters

Man murdered in Igede -Ekiti

The late Tayo, was a former mail dispatcher with the Union Bank of Nigeria, Igede-Ekiti, Branch. He was found dead in the pool of his…

The late Tayo, was a former mail dispatcher with the Union Bank of Nigeria, Igede-Ekiti, Branch. He was found dead in the pool of his own blood at his farm, late in the evening of Saturday, May 30, 2009.

His wife narrated that her husband had left for the farm in the morning, but promised to return home before sunset, but when it was getting late in the evening, at about 7 pm, she could not bear the delay.

She said: “I started having a strange feeling that something terrible might have happened to my husband in the farm because he was not the type that failed to keep his word. We organized a six-man search party to look for him in the farm.

“When we got to the farm, I shouted his name at the top of my voice, but only to be answered by the echo of my voice. It was silence. My husband was not responding; my prayer was that something terrible should not happen to him.

“We went round the kolanut plantation and the adjacent farms to no avail, but on a second search, all of a sudden we stumbled on his lifeless body, already mutilated and lying in the pool of his own blood.

“I fell on him to feel his pulse. I lifted his arm. There was no response. The bleeding was heavy, the machete cut was deep, he was serially dealt with deep cuts from the machete.”

On who might be responsible for the murder of his husband, Mrs Oluwabusuyi, said she suspected two relatives of the deceased.

She said they were notorious for stealing from farms in the community. She fingered them as prime suspects, adding that they both lived in the same compound with them.

She said, her husband had a quarrel with the two men who were trespassing on their farm and stealing their produce.

According to her, her husband had warned them to desist from doing so or he would report them to the police, if they failed to obey their warning. But in their reply they threatened to killed him if he dared to report them to the police.

She said that the family noticed that after that threats, they discovered that the two packed their belongings and disappeared from the town.   Speaking on the crime, the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Mr Fabian Ojiri, said the suspects would never be released under any circumstances. “It is a murder case and it is not a bailable offence.”

The police noted that investigation was still ongoing. “Once we are through with the investigation, they would be charged to court,” he said, revealing that five people had been arrested in connection with the matter.