✕ CLOSE Online Special City News Entrepreneurship Environment Factcheck Everything Woman Home Front Islamic Forum Life Xtra Property Travel & Leisure Viewpoint Vox Pop Women In Business Art and Ideas Bookshelf Labour Law Letters
Click Here To Listen To Trust Radio Live

Low turnout of pupils as FCT teachers shelve strike

There was a low turnout of pupils across LEA primary schools in the six area councils of the FCT following the resumption of teachers on…

There was a low turnout of pupils across LEA primary schools in the six area councils of the FCT following the resumption of teachers on Monday, January 29, 2024, after a strike.

City & Crime earlier reported that the teachers were directed by the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) in the FCT to embark on a strike over the non-payment of their 25 months minimum wage arrears and other allowances by the six area council chairmen.

But the union last Friday in a communique asked the teachers to resume classes on Monday, January 29, 2024, following the intervention of the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, who offered to pay 40 per cent of the minimum wage arrears while directing the council chairmen to pay the remaining 60 per cent in three installments.

During a visit to the Abaji East LEA Primary School there was a low turnout of pupils while the teachers were busy.

Ondo Muslim community demands more govt appointments

Labourer remanded for raping co-worker to death

The situation was the same at the LEA Primary School, Unguwar Kayarda in Kuje area council.

At the LEA Central Primary School, Abaji, it was observed that the turnout of pupils was about 60 per cent.

The Head Teacher of the school, Salihu Jirbin, said, “This morning at the assembly ground I read the letter of the directive of resumption, but from Tuesday I believe pupils will turn up 100 per cent.”

City & Crime observed the same situation at the LEA Central Primary School, Kwali; where a teacher, Jonathan Issac, said, “We just resumed today, but as from Tuesday, the turnout of pupils will improve since the strike has been suspended.”

But at the Anguwar Dodo LEA Primary School, Gwagwalada, the turnout of pupils was above 65 per cent.

 

VERIFIED: It is now possible to live in Nigeria and earn salary in US Dollars with premium domains, you can earn as much as $12,000 (₦18 Million).
Click here to start.