Lagos building collapse: 1 week after, death toll hits 44 | Dailytrust

Lagos building collapse: 1 week after, death toll hits 44

Two more male bodies have been recovered from the collapsed 21-storey building in Ikoyi, Lagos.

This came after Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu declared 42 people dead earlier on Saturday, thereby increasing the death toll from 42 to 44 with 15 survivors.

Meanwhile, the federal government has directed the Army Corps of Engineers to assist in the rescue operation.

The Head of Army Corps of Engineers, Brigadier General Omali, arrived the site yesterday and received by the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), as well as the Lagos State Commissioners for Special Duties and Physical Planning.

Gen Omali said the army team was at the site based on a directive from Abuja.

Earlier, Gov Sanwo-Olu disclosed a plan by the state government to give incentives to victims of the building collapse.

He said, “We don’t need to publicly announce the issue of incentives, but we want to be sure that we are dealing with the right people,” adding that psycho-social treatment is being carried out on survivors. 

 

From Abdullateef Aliyu, Christiana T. Alabi & Eugene Agha, Lagos

Dear Reader,
Every day, we work hard to provide readers such as you with the most accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive information. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Your support means that Daily Trust can keep offering journalism to everyone in the world. Sign up for as little as N1,000 to become a member. Learn more about our membership here

Bank transfers can be made to:
Zenith Bank
1017257739
Media Trust Ltd


Please send details of your bank transfer to the email or Whatsapp number below so that we can contact you.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Inquiries:
Email: membership@dailytrust.com
Whatsapp: +234 806 990 3410