Kannywood actress, Ladi Cima recently sparked outrage in Kannywood after she claimed she had never been paid more than N20,000 for acting in a movie.
The statement which sparked anger among some of the stakeholders in the Kannywood also started conversations about payment and welfare of thespian in the film industry.
Here are some things about the veteran actress you probably don’t know:
– She is reportedly the oldest actress in Kannywood. In some interviews, Cima said she joined the industry when nobody paid her for acting, and she had to travel from Kano to Kaduna because there were no filmmakers in Kano at the time.
– Cima was married at the age of 13. Although from Katsina, she got married in Kano, and gave birth to three children, sadly, two died, leaving only a daughter alive.
– The thespian started acting after she lost her husband. Speaking on her experience, the actress said she used to watch dramas on black-and-white television and admired the characters in the play. However, it was not till her husband died that she got the chance to start acting.
– Also, Cima worked at a hospital. Some of her fans might not know but the actress had been working at a hospital in Kano for many years, and didn’t stop even after she began acting. She retired recently.
– She had started acting before Kannywood came into existence because Kannywood isn’t more than 30 years in existence, she had been acting even before the Hausa cinema became an established industry in Nigeria.
– Moreso, Cima has been an actress for about 50 years. The screen diva said that she did her first film during the time of the former Nigerian military Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon.