The Kaduna State Government says the ban on security checkpoints along Kaduna-Abuja road is still in force.
Samuel Aruwan, Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, said this in a statement on Saturday in Kaduna.
- Gridlock hits Abuja-Kaduna express after daring save to avert crash
- BEFORE IGP DEcLARES ABUJA-KADUNA ROAD ‘SAFE’
The Kaduna-Abuja expressway is notorious for banditry and kidnapping despite efforts by security agents to tackle the situation.
To reduce the risk of being kidnapped or attacked by robbers, a good number of travellers between Kaduna and Abuja have embraced the use of trains.
Reported attacks on train passengers riding have also raised concerns that the route might also not be completely safe.
However, Aruwan reiterated that the prohibition of checkpoints on the road as announced by the Kaduna State Security Council on September 4, 2019, is still in force.
“The Kaduna State Security Council, last year, issued the advisory, notifying citizens that there were to be no authorised checkpoint along the Kaduna-Abuja Road and other routes, to and fro.
“Any person or group of persons observed to be manning checkpoints along these routes at any time must be considered as carrying out illegal operations, and must be treated as such.
“Road users are strictly warned, not to show compliance with any checkpoint on this route at this time.
“By this statement, citizens are advised to report anybody violating this directive to the security operation centre on the emergency lines: 09034000060, 08170189999,’’ he said.