A regional convention of Jehovah’s Witnesses in the southern Indian state of Kerala has been bombed by suspected terrorists.
According to JW.org, the official website of Jehovah’s Witnesses, the incident happened on Sunday.
The report said there were over 2,200 people in attendance.
It said: “On Sunday, October 29, 2023, at least two bombs exploded at the regional convention held in Kerala, India. The incident occurred just after the opening prayer.
“According to initial reports, two of our sisters were killed. At least 55 individuals were injured. There were over 2,200 people in attendance. The police are currently investigating the situation. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this tragedy.—Psalm 9:9.”
Al Jazeera quoted Darvesh Saheb, Kerala’s Director General of Police as saying that investigations were ongoing to unravel the cause of the incident.
Saheb said: “We will find out who is behind this and take stringent action … preliminary investigation shows it was an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) blast We are examining all angles and will find out who is behind this.”
According to Reuters, one Dominic Martin posted a video on Facebook claiming responsibility for the attacks, before surrendering shortly after noon at a police station in Thrissur district, about 40 km (25 miles) from the site of the explosions.
“Dominic is still being questioned in Kochi. He is in our custody but we have not recorded his arrest so far,” police public relations officer, Pramod Kumar, said.
Jehovah’s Witnesses identify as Christians but are guided by distinctive beliefs and practices.
They are known for their door-to-door proselytism.