ISWAP fighters kill 17-year-old vigilante, abduct girls in Chibok | Dailytrust

ISWAP fighters kill 17-year-old vigilante, abduct girls in Chibok

Barely a few days after the eighth year anniversary of the abduction of schoolgirls in Chibok community in the Southern part of Borno State,...

File photo
File photo

Barely a few days after the eighth year anniversary of the abduction of schoolgirls in Chibok community in the Southern part of Borno State, fighters of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) have taken six more girls from the area, Daily Trust reports.

Boko Haram insurgents had invaded Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, on April 14, 2014, and abducted 276 schoolgirls who were preparing for their final year examination.

Last week’s Wednesday, an interfaith prayer session was held on the premises of the GGSS Chibok as part of activities to mark the eighth year anniversary of the abduction which occurred in 2014.

One vigilante member is said to have also been killed in the fresh attack on the community which occurred Sunday evening.

It was gathered that the ISWAP rode utility vehicles and motorcycles to storm Yimir Mugza village and opened fire, thereby forcing villagers to flee into bushes.

A top security source said a 17-year-old vigilante identified as Godwin was killed by the attackers who carted away four vehicles, tricycles, livestock and foodstuffs.

The source who wouldn’t want to be mentioned for security reasons said four of the abducted girls belonged to one family.

According to the source the latest attack made it the seventh time the community had been invaded by the insurgents since 2014 when the 276 schoolgirls were taken away from Chibok.

By press time, the source said, the matter was reported to security agencies even as a detachment of soldiers had been deployed in the area.

Meanwhile, the Bayelsa State governor, Douye Diri, has said that insecurity in Nigeria is worse than 2015 when President Muhammadu Buhari-led All Progressives Congress (APC) took over power in the country. 

He called on the federal government to redouble its effort at combating insecurity, particularly in the northern part of the country.

The Bayelsa governor stated this yesterday while receiving the heads of security agencies in the state on separate courtesy visits to the government house, Yenagoa.

Fidelis Mac-Leva (Abuja), Olatunji Omirin (Maiduguri) & Bassey Willie (Yenagoa)

Dear Reader,
Every day, we work hard to provide readers such as you with the most accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive information. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Your support means that Daily Trust can keep offering journalism to everyone in the world. Sign up for as little as N1,000 to become a member. Learn more about our membership here

Bank transfers can be made to:
Zenith Bank
1017257739
Media Trust Ltd


Please send details of your bank transfer to the email or Whatsapp number below so that we can contact you.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Inquiries:
Email: membership@dailytrust.com
Whatsapp: +234 806 990 3410