IPOB: No plan to ban Facebook – Lai Mohammed | Dailytrust

IPOB: No plan to ban Facebook – Lai Mohammed

Minister of information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has said the federal government has no intention to ban Facebook over the purported inciting statements...

Minister of information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has said the federal government has no intention to ban Facebook over the purported inciting statements by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

He said this Wednesday while fielding questions from State House reporters after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting presided over President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The minister had, at a meeting with a team from Facebook in Abuja on Tuesday, asked the social media platform to prevent IPOB from using its platform to incite violence.

He had said people had been killed because of the group’s activities.

However, when asked whether the Federal Government was considering the possibility of banning Facebook as it did to Twitter over the alleged inciting violence by IPOB, Mohammed said there was no such plan yet as the government had a fruitful discussion with the social media platform.

According to him, “I had a very fruitful meeting with Facebook yesterday (Tuesday). At that meeting, we expressed our displeasure that Facebook was becoming a power of choice for those who stay outside Nigeria, in particular, to incite violence, killings, burning of government properties, killing of soldiers and policemen.

“And that they should do more than what they are doing now in looking at the contents, which are unwholesome, which are being used on their platforms.

“Incidentally, the BBC did a documentary on this particular issue and found out that some of them who call themselves social media warriors in England, in France and other places, have in recent times, be using the Facebook platform to incite violence in Nigeria. And we’ve all seen the real life impact of those war mongering, the young couple who are going to marry, soldiers who were gruesomely murdered.

“Over this weekend in Anambra state police men were killed, military barracks were attacked. And we we did warn Facebook to please do more than what they are doing now. And I must say that their response was quite encouraging. They said you’re going to do much more.”

When asked specifically whether there was any plan to ban Facebook if the inciting violence continued, he said, “I think I gave you an answer. We had a very robust discussion with Facebook. Facebook saw our point and they said they’re going to do much more than what they are doing. So if they do that, why would we ban them?

“We don’t ban for banning sake. We ban or we only suspend operations if for any reason, lives are threatened and they do not listen. But this is of engagement.”

Dear Reader,
Every day, we work hard to provide readers such as you with the most accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive information. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Your support means that Daily Trust can keep offering journalism to everyone in the world. Sign up for as little as N1,000 to become a member. Learn more about our membership here

Bank transfers can be made to:
Zenith Bank
1017257739
Media Trust Ltd


Please send details of your bank transfer to the email or Whatsapp number below so that we can contact you.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Inquiries:
Email: membership@dailytrust.com
Whatsapp: +234 806 990 3410