Three persons including an infant on Wednesday died in a gas explosion in Abeokuta, Ogun State.
Daily Trust gathered that the incident occurred around 3 pm at Oke-Egunya, along NTA Road, Abeokuta, in Abeokuta South Local Government Area.
An eyewitness told our correspondent that the incident occurred when a technician was topping up the gas of a faulty refrigerator at a residence in the area.
“In the process of topping up gas into the refrigerator, there was an attraction of fire from someone cooking with firewood and there came an explosion,” the eyewitness said.
The Director of Fire Service, Ogun State, Engineer Fatai Adefala, confirmed the incident to Daily Trust in a telephone chat.
Adefala said his men, after receiving the distress call regarding a fire spark, had raced to the scene.
According to him, upon getting to the scene we discovered it was a gas explosion.
He confirmed three were burnt to death as they were caught up with the explosion.