Imo mayhem: Orlu community deserted as eyewitness recounts ordeal | Dailytrust

Imo mayhem: Orlu community deserted as eyewitness recounts ordeal

Orlu town is still a ghost of itself 24 hours after a gun battle between some gunmen, soldiers and members of the Ebubeagu security outfit which reportedly left two people dead.

An eyewitness told our correspondent of some horrific scenes as the battle raged in the restive community.

El-Rufai under fire For Attacking Jonathan Over Alamieyeseigha’s pardon

El-Rufai under fire For Attacking Jonathan Over Alamieyeseigha’s pardon

Orlu has remained a battleground since the deployment of soldiers in the wake of mayhem unleashed on the community by the Eastern Security Network (ESN) the militant wing of the outlawed Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB).

Our correspondent who made attempts to go to Orlu was advised to go back to Umuaka by some motorists coming from the troubled area.

Among those killed was said to be a musician identified as Roco Nwadiekwe.

One of his friends, who is a movie actor and an indigene of Orlu, narrated how he saw security operatives allegedly shooting civilians during the clash between bandits and security men on Sunday in the area.

He said that the security men were shooting indiscriminately at doors and windows of houses as people ran indoors to escape the staccato of bullets.

The actor who pleaded anonymity said apart from his friend, a teenager and a woman were killed in his presence.

He said that though three persons fell in his presence, there could be other casualties.

“We were at the hotel about to move out for our daily movie shoot which is an epic movie, all of a sudden we started seeing people run into the hotel. I watched from the window. The gateman closed the gate and the people remaining outside began to run in different directions.”

The actor further told our correspondent how he watched soldiers and other people suspected to be members of the Ebubeagu security outfit exchange gunfire with the gunmen. He said that the gun battle lasted for almost three hours.

However, the police is yet to react to the incident as the Police Public Relations Officer of the state, CSP Mike Abattam, could not respond to inquiries on the incident.

Dear Reader,
Every day, we work hard to provide readers such as you with the most accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive information. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Your support means that Daily Trust can keep offering journalism to everyone in the world. Sign up for as little as N1,000 to become a member. Learn more about our membership here

Bank transfers can be made to:
Zenith Bank
Media Trust Ltd

Please send details of your bank transfer to the email or Whatsapp number below so that we can contact you.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Whatsapp: +234 806 990 3410