Armed bandits, on Sunday afternoon, attacked travelers around Zankoro area along the dreaded Birnin Gwari-Kaduna highway, killing nine people including three infants.
Daily Trust gathered that the victims were on their way to a wedding ceremony at Doka village in Birnin Gwari Local Government of the state.
A traveler, who identified himself as Datti, told Daily Trust that he assisted the vigilante in evacuating some of the victims, even though he said six persons died on the spot.
Confirming the killings, the Birnin Gwari Progressives Union (BEPU), in a statement, yesterday, said the bandits also blocked the road on Monday at the same Zankoro at about 9.00 am, shooting sporadically and abducted an unspecified number of people.
BEPU Chairman, Barrister Salisu Haruna, told Daily Trust that 11 people were also abducted from Dan Kungi village in Birnin Gwari on Sunday, lamenting that the bandits had become aggressive as they continue to kill and abduct innocent citizens unabated.
He said between December 20, 2020, and January 4, 2021, more than 40 people from Birnin Gwari had been abducted.
He called on the Kaduna state government to deploy a response squad to the highways.
When contacted, the Kaduna State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Mohammed Jalige, said he was at a meeting and promised to call back. Three hours later, Jalige said he was still at a meeting.
Kaduna State Commissioner of Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, when contacted, did not respond to text and WhatsApp messages.