✕ CLOSE Online Special City News Entrepreneurship Environment Factcheck Everything Woman Home Front Islamic Forum Life Xtra Property Travel & Leisure Viewpoint Vox Pop Women In Business Art and Ideas Bookshelf Labour Law Letters
Click Here To Listen To Trust Radio Live

Generator fumes kill Kogi poly students

Two students at Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja, have reportedly died from inhaling generator fumes in their sleep at a lodge outside the institution’s campus. The…

Two students at Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja, have reportedly died from inhaling generator fumes in their sleep at a lodge outside the institution’s campus.

The Kogi State Police Public Relations Officer, SP William Ovye Aya, confirmed the incident to the Daily Trust on Thursday night.

Daily Trust gathered that the deceased students and their friends had gone to the lodge located outside the main campus on Monday hale and hearty after the day’s activities.

Unfortunately, two of the students, Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo, 20, and Ibrahim Haliru, 26, were found dead the following day, while the third person, Mary Ojochegbe was reportedly found unconscious in the room.

A source stated that a friend of the trio who went to check on them in their lodge on Tuesday morning discovered the ugly incident.

It was learnt that two of the victims were residing at Ganaja area of Lokoja, but decided to spend a night with their friend at the said lodge that day in order to attend the following day’s lecture with ease.

The survivor was said to have been rushed to a hospital for treatment while the remains of the deceased were deposited in a morgue at a hospital in Lokoja.

The Public Relations Manager of the state polytechnic, Lokoja, Mrs Uredo Omale, confirmed the incident, saying the case was reported at B division of the state police command for proper investigation.

The PPRO, SP Aya, said that the post mortem examination showed the two students died from inhaling carbon monoxide gas from a generator.

He said a generator was set close to the window or door of the deceased, before they slept off, inhaling the fumes leading to their untimely death before daybreak.

“Perhaps, by their post mortem report, the three students might have inhaled too much poisonous gas from a nearby generator through their windows or door, which led to the killing of two of them in their sleep,” he said.

VERIFIED: It is now possible to live in Nigeria and earn salary in US Dollars with premium domains, you can earn as much as $12,000 (₦18 Million).
Click here to start.