Garba Shehu Under Fire For asking Nigerians to apply for expired job opportunity | Dailytrust

Garba Shehu Under Fire For asking Nigerians to apply for expired job opportunity

The Senior Special Assistant, Media and Publicity to President Muhammadu Buhari, Malam Garba Shehu, is under harsh criticism from Nigerians for sharing an outdated job application on social media.

On Thursday evening, the presidential media aide posted on his verified Twitter handle: “Our young graduates may wish to apply for the Graduate Fellowship by UNDP. They will place 20,000 graduates into 1-year internships in various multi National companies and development partners. The salary is good and the experience is unquantifiable.

“The link for the fellowship is njfp.ng and it is co sponsored by UNDP and EU. This is a great opportunity for our unemployed graduates. Please help us give it widest publicity.”

Some Nigerians were disappointed after opening the link only to find out that it was the application portal for the Nigeria Jubilee Fellows Programme of last year, in which it is clearly stated that “Applications are open from 6 September to 20 October 2021.”

The disappointed Nigerians reacted harshly. One Jerry Douglas (@jerrydouglas19) said, “Tueh! How can you do this Malam Garba? Urging us to go to a closed application portal since 2021 in March 2022. No wonder Nigeria is like this. You guys have run the country aground. SMH.”

Another Twitter user wondered why a top government official would share something with the public without prior verification.

“Without verification? I don’t forward links without verification, not to talk of a high profile govt official,” replied @LDabibi.

@emma_okobundu: “This tweet just summarizes everything about Nigeria, this government and those running it. Just copy and paste. Imagine this coming from a high level government official. This is too amateurish.”

Garba Shehu who had served as a spokesman of the vice president of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar as well as the President of the Nigerian Guild of Editors before joining the Buhari government, has recorded a number of controversies in the past.

He was under heavy criticism when he said only 10 students were abducted from the 333 abducted students of Kankara in Katsina State in December, 2020. He later apologised for misleading the public.

He was also severely criticised by Nigerians after he granted an interview with BBC on the killing of 66 people, mostly farmers, at Koshobe village near Zabarmari in Jere Local Government Area of Borno State, in which he said the victims had not got military clearance to farm.

Dear Reader,
Every day, we work hard to provide readers such as you with the most accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive information. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Your support means that Daily Trust can keep offering journalism to everyone in the world. Sign up for as little as N1,000 to become a member. Learn more about our membership here

Bank transfers can be made to:
Zenith Bank
1017257739
Media Trust Ltd


Please send details of your bank transfer to the email or Whatsapp number below so that we can contact you.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Inquiries:
Email: membership@dailytrust.com
Whatsapp: +234 806 990 3410