A fire incident was averted on Friday at the Head office of the Nigerian Aviation Handling Company (NAHCO aviance) following spark from some electrical cables in the company.
It was learnt that the incident happened around 12:20 pm in the building located at the cargo section of Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA).
However, the response from the Airport Fire Service and the firm’s ICT department saved the day as the spark which was caused by a power surge in its server room was suppressed.
The Company’s corporate Communication Manager, Mr. Tayo Ajakaye who confirmed the incident said the power surge made the suppressant in its highly- equipped ICT strong room “to respond automatically by putting out the fire and at the same time raising the alarm”.
Following the alarm, members of staff reportedly assembled at the Fire Assembly point while the Airport Fire advised them to stay out for a few more minutes until the smoke released by the suppressant disperses.
Ajakaye said: “The whole incident which started around 12.20PM was caused by a heavy surge in the public power supplied to the Company; and by 1.00PM, all NAHCO staff were back at their desks.”
According to him, the swift response showed that heavy investment in high tech equipment by the Company paid off.
He commended the immediate response of the Airport Fire Service who responded to the aborted emergency.
“We really commend the swift response of the Airport Fire Service. It goes to show that in the Airport environment, we are all one. We work together for the good of the industry and the nation,” Ajakaye said.