A fire outbreak from Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) otherwise known as petrol has claimed the lives of a medical couple, Dr Auta Gidado and Dr Amina Ahmad.
Until their demise, they both worked with the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital in Borno State, Daily Trust learnt.
It was gathered that the incident occurred Sunday morning in an apartment where they resided on Lagos Street, Maiduguri.
According to the family, the husband was caught in the fire while he was trying to rescue his wife.
They were both rushed to Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of UMTH where Gidado died on Tuesday.
A source noted that Gidado had been buried according to the Islamic rite.
“They were both involved in a fire incident three days ago. May Allah join these two beautiful souls in Jannatul Firdaus,” the source said, adding that Gidado’s wife died Wednesday morning.
“We lost her this morning. It was painful they died suddenly from a mysterious fire outbreak,” the source added.
While confirming the incident, the President of the Association of Resident Doctors (ADR), Dr Abdullahi Usman, regretted the sudden death of the couple.
“Yes we lost both of them from a fire outbreak, as we speak nobody can tell you the details but what we were told is that the fire emanated from petrol.
“I wish people would respect the dead. This is a sober moment for us as colleagues,” Abdullah said.
A message sighted by our correspondent reads, “The leadership of ARD UMTH ably led by President Abdullahi Usman regrets to announce the death of dear colleague, Dr Amina Ahmad (House Officer); wife of Late Auta Gidado.
“May the Almighty Allah forgive her and grant her Aljannatul Firdaus. May He repose her soul and that of her late husband.”