The Joint Action Committee of Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities and the Non-Academic Staff Union on Tuesday said it lacked powers to direct varsity workers to suspend the indefinite strike planned for February 5 over alleged injustice on sharing formula of N40bn Earned Allowance, non-payment of minimum wage arrears and other demands.
SSANU President Mohammed Haruna Ibrahim and NASU General Secretary Peters Adeyemi, disclosed this to journalists in Abuja after a four-hour close-door meeting with the representatives of the Federal Government led by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige.
- Attacks on Fulani in S/West: Act now before we lose Nigeria, Tofa tells Buhari
- IGP: You’re trampling on the law, lawyers tell Buhari
Adeyemi said: “We’ve not concluded the work. There are some issues that developed during the course of our discussions. We need to take back to our members so that they can give us further directive.
“As a result of that development, we asked that the government should allow us time to meet our members and seek for further mandate.
“We’re favourably disposed to dialogue and after discussing with our members, we will come back and continue with the discussion. So far, nothing has been concluded.”
On his part, the minister said they made progress during the meeting by setting up a joint committee that would address all issues raised about IPPIS.
He said the joint committee comprised the unions, officials of the Ministry of Education; the Salary, Wages and Income Commission; the Office of Accountant-General and the National University Commission.