FCTA raids suspected bandits’ enclave, reclaims market | Dailytrust

FCTA raids suspected bandits’ enclave, reclaims market

Officials of Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) on Wednesday pulled down trees and shanties at a forest in Pasali on Kuje – Gwagwalada road suspected to be hideout for bandits and reclaimed the area earmarked for vegetable market and others.

This is coming as the ongoing demolition exercise in Kuje enters day three.

Senior Special Assistant on Monitoring, Inspection and Enforcement to the FCT minister, Ikharo Attah, after the exercise, said the demolition of Pasali forest near Kuje Local Education Authority Secretariat was to clear the area of illegalities and restore the approved plan.

Lagos man charged with stealing neighbour’s goat

Amotekun arrests 6 over firearms in Ogun

“We have reclaimed the vegetable market and others which had been taken over by other people.

“The minister of FCT and the commissioner of police are fully aware of the exercise, and we will continue to reclaim the areas designated for special purposes.” 

However, those affected by the ongoing demolition of the illegal structures behind prison command on the railway corridor accused the traditional rulers of selling the land they built on to them.

The affected persons blamed the monarchs for not doing enough to protect their interests but rather inflicting pains on them. 

One of the victims, Briget Ekelechukwu, said, “We have been here for over 12 years.  I knew that this area is railway corridor but I was deceived by the monarchs and their people that railway is not coming. 

Another victim, Benedict Chidozie, regretted saying, “how come people will come and build without the consent of the traditional ruler or his family members? They are the cause of our problem.”

However, the secretary to Gomo of Kuje, Alhaji Mohammed Usman, denied the allegation, describing their claims as false.

He said: “What the people are saying is false, let them bring the agreement that His Royal Highness sold land to them. Anybody accusing Gomo, should bring proof. We have nothing to hide,” he said.

For David Musa, the cleanup of the forest would bring sanity to the area, claiming that, “Suspected bandits do come there to relax during the day and strike at the night. Like yesterday at least 15 people were kidnapped along Kwaku area in Kuje,’’ he said.

 

Dear Reader,
Every day, we work hard to provide readers such as you with the most accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive information. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Your support means that Daily Trust can keep offering journalism to everyone in the world. Sign up for as little as N1,000 to become a member. Learn more about our membership here

Bank transfers can be made to:
Zenith Bank
1017257739
Media Trust Ltd


Please send details of your bank transfer to the email or Whatsapp number below so that we can contact you.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Inquiries:
Email: membership@dailytrust.com
Whatsapp: +234 806 990 3410