A source close to the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare has said the hostility targeted at the Minister by the host state forced him to stay away from the closing ceremony of the 2020 National Sports Festival.
The closing ceremony of the 20th edition of the biennial games held on Wednesday without the minister of sports in attendance.
- Ujah of Anaguta: I will not interfere with the selection of traditional ruler – Lalong
- Can intellectuals too make brand ambassadors?
The source who pleaded for anonymity said the antics of the Edo State Deputy Governor and the hostile attitude of the host state since last week forced the minister to cancel his appearance at the closing ceremony.
The Edo State deputy governor, Comrade Philip Shaibu was at the forefront of the battle to ensure the state received the intervention funds allegedly promised by the federal government.
“Last Wednesday, hostilities got to a head when Edo state threw out staff of the Federal Ministry of sports from the Main Organizing Committee (MOC) Secretariat on the orders of the Deputy Governor, Comrade Philip Shaibu after security men stormed the place in a commando style.
“Though later resolved, the deputy governor continued to heat up the place demanding money from the federal government.
“But documents confirmed that what the Edo State government presented to the sports ministry was a plea for assistance, which it promised to consider.
“What the federal government promised to consider was not a pledge, neither was it a loan as no agreement was ever signed,” he said.