The attack on Ekehen train station in Igueben Local Government Area of Edo State will not affect the Itapkpe-Warri train service, Managing Director, Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), Engr. Fidet Okhiria, has said.
He told our correspondent on the phone that the train service will still be operated, but additional security measures would be introduced.
Daily Trust had reported how gunmen attacked the train station on Saturday evening and kidnapped unspecified number of passengers who were waiting to board the train to Warri.
- Presidency: Only God can stop Tinubu – Nasarawa Gov
- Osinbajo, Amaechi, Onu, Okorocha, 2 others missing from Tinubu’s campaigns
According to the Police Public Relations Officer, Chidi Nwabuzor, some passengers sustained bullet wounds in the attack.
Minister of Transportation, Mall. Mua’zu Sambo, visited the affected train station in the early hours of Sunday.
Our correspondent learnt that the minister visited the station to ascertain the situation.
“The Minister’s visit was to get first hand information, to know how many passengers were kidnapped, how many injured and officials of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) led by the Managing Director are on ground,” an official said.
The MD had told our correspondent earlier that investigation is on to know “how many passengers were involved and other such details,” adding a press statement would be issued.
He also clarified that there was no attack on the train but only the station was attacked.
The latest attack comes about nine months after an attack on the Abuja-Kaduna Train where dozens of passengers were kidnapped, leading to the suspension of the train service.
The train service resumed December 5, 2022 after the remaining passengers in captivity were released.