World number one Novak Djokovic will not defend his Madrid Open title next week as he decided against travelling for the ATP Masters 1000 event, organisers said on Wednesday.
The 33-year-old was last seen in action on his home soil at the Serbia Open last week, where he reached the semifinals before losing to Russia’s Aslan Karatsev.
- Kano trains 600 MSMEs to access loans
- Mastermind of Kankara abduction makes u-turn, returns to forest
“Sorry that I won’t be able to travel to Madrid this year and meet all my fans,” Djokovic said in a message shared by the Madrid Open organisers.
“It’s been two years already, quite a long time. Hope to see you all next year!”.