Osun State Government has said only one of Abidjan returnees escaped from isolation where they were quarantined in Ejigbo.
The State Commissioner for Information and Civic Orientation, Mrs. Funke Egbemode, in a press statement in Osogbo on Saturday, said the report in the media that many of them escaped was false.
Daily Trust had earlier reported that six of the returnees who tested positive for coronavirus escaped from the isolation centre Friday night.
An official of the government, who is in a position to know, confirmed the development to Daily Trust.
However, the state government is denying the report, insisting that only one person is missing.
According to the statement: “Our attention has been drawn to a story purporting that six persons were missing from our isolation centre in Ejigbo.
“Nothing can be further from the truth. As a government, we have not issued any statement to confirm or deny such story.
“Recall that about a week ago, we received 127 returnees from Ivory Coast and we have kept them since then to avoid community transfer of the virus.
“This morning, we embarked on a headcount and found out that only one person could not be accounted for by officials stationed at the Isolation centre out of the 127 persons.”
“The State Government is currently investigating the matter and will ensure that the missing person is brought back to the Isolation centre and we will also ensure we trace all his contacts.”
“We want to reiterate that any official(s) found culpable will also be dealt with accordingly.”
“We implore members of the public to discountenance the alarm being raised. We will continue to do everything to protect the lives of our citizens in this fight against Coronavirus.”