✕ CLOSE Online Special City News Entrepreneurship Environment Factcheck Everything Woman Home Front Islamic Forum Life Xtra Property Travel & Leisure Viewpoint Vox Pop Women In Business Art and Ideas Bookshelf Labour Law Letters
Click Here To Listen To Trust Radio Live

Court stops NLC, TUC from embarking on Nov 14 strike

The National Industrial Court has restrained the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress (TUC) and their affiliates from embarking on any planned industrial action.…

The National Industrial Court has restrained the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress (TUC) and their affiliates from embarking on any planned industrial action.

Justice Benedict Kanyip issued the restraining order on Friday following an ex-parte application by the Federal Government and the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice to stop the planned November 14 nationwide strike.

Justice Kanyip, who is also the President of the Court, invoked sections 17 and 19 of the National Industrial Court Act to issue the restraining order against the NLC.

The federal government and the AGF, through their lawyer, Tijani Gazali (SAN), had in the application argued that the planned strike action would cause untold hardship on innocent law-abiding citizens and their businesses.

Gazali, who is also the Director of Civil Appeals in the Federal Ministry of Justice, drew the attention of the presiding justice to series of hardships suffered by Nigerians on Thursday alone when the labour unions blocked entrances to the main airports in the country.

He pleaded that unless the planned strike action is stopped, there may be likelihood of breach of peace and tranquility in the country.

Subsequently, in his short ruling, the judge said it is within the power of the court to intervene by way of restraining order to ensure peace and tranquility.

He proceeded to grant all the requests of the federal government as contained in the motion paper.

Besides, Justice Kanyip directed that the restraining order be pasted on the wall of the Labour House being the last known address of the two defendants to draw their attention to the court’s position.

He further directed that the order along with the originating and other processes be served on the defendants by publication in two major national dailies.

Meanwhile, the case file has been transferred to Justice Olufunke Yemi Anuwe who was said to be handling similar labour dispute related matters between the two same parties.

Justice Anuwe, the court’s president said, would issue hearing notice to the parties at the appropriate time.

The union had threatened to commence strike over assault on NLC President, Joe Ajaero, in Owerri, Imo state capital, last week.

VERIFIED: It is now possible to live in Nigeria and earn salary in US Dollars with premium domains, you can earn as much as $12,000 (₦18 Million).
Click here to start.