Chinese 5G Industry faces backlash as India bans trial | Dailytrust

Chinese 5G Industry faces backlash as India bans trial

Things look murky for China in India as the latter did not include any of the Chinese companies in the 5G trials being conducted in the nation.

Following the Galwan Valley clash last year, India had maintained that the relations between the two countries could see the light of development only if China agreed to completely and absolutely disengage from the border. Not only that, China must also give up the Indian territories it had captured during the bloody clash.

The move comes at a time when China is already in the midst of a global scrutiny.

China, on Wednesday, expressed its sorrow and regret at the Chinese telecom companies being kept out of India’s 5G technologies and spectrum trials and urged India to “do more to enhance mutual trust” between both the nations.

Reacting to the department of telecommunications’ choice not to incorporate Chinese firms in the trials, Chinese embassy representative Wang Xiaojian expressed “concern and regret that Chinese telecommunications companies have not been permitted to conduct 5G trials with Indian telecom service providers”.

He said, “Relevant Chinese companies have been operating in India for years, providing mass job opportunities and making contribution to India’s infrastructure construction in telecommunications”.

The decision of not including Chinese telecommunication companies in the trials “will not only harm their legitimate rights and interests, but also hinder the improvement of the Indian business environment, which is not conducive to the innovation and development of related Indian industries”, Wang said.

“The Chinese side hopes that India could do more to enhance mutual trust and cooperation between the two countries, and provide an open, fair, just, and non-discriminatory investment and business environment for market entities from all countries, including China, to operate and invest in India”, he added.

China lost a major share of Indian users due to the infamous border clashes with India last year. The Indian government had called for a ban on all Chinese products, technologies, and apps. It became a major setback for Chinese firms, since a country with a population as big as India had meant bigger revenue generation.
Since the beginning of the border standoff in May a year ago, India approximately banned more than 260 Chinese-origin cell phone applications and curbed foreign direct investments from China.

There have been long-standing security concerns with respect to the investment of Chinese firms like Huawei and ZTE in India’s 5G trials. Former US president Donald Trump had also urged India not to permit these organizations to partake in the trials.

India and China consented to pull out their powers from the north and south banks of Pangong Lake in February, however the cycle of withdrawal and de-acceleration at other friction points on the LAC has been slowed down.

The Chinese side wants that the border issues and the clash to be kept out of other aspects of the bilateral ties between itself and India. However, this idea has been strongly rebuffed by India.

The Department of Telecom on Tuesday endorsed apps of telecom organizations – Reliance Jio, Bharti Airtel, Vodafone Idea and MTNL – for leading 5G preliminaries however none of them will be using the technologies of the Chinese companies. The list of mobile and telecom producers approved for the trials include Ericsson, Nokia, Samsung, C-DOT and Reliance Jio’s domestic technologies.

This non-inclusion of Chinese brands also points towards the bigger possibility that China might not be allowed to roll out its 5G services within the Indian Territory.

It has been quite a while since China has been receiving flak from the global community because of its state sponsored violence over the minority communities in China, its aggressive foreign policy, and its belligerent nature at the borders, along with the humanitarian abuse it has been perpetrating in Tibet.

Numerous nations have called for an action against China as more and more people unsubscribe from the country’s products and services.

 

Dear Reader,
Every day, we work hard to provide readers such as you with the most accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive information. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Your support means that Daily Trust can keep offering journalism to everyone in the world. Sign up for as little as N1,000 to become a member. Learn more about our membership here

Bank transfers can be made to:
Zenith Bank
1017257739
Media Trust Ltd


Please send details of your bank transfer to the email or Whatsapp number below so that we can contact you.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Inquiries:
Email: membership@dailytrust.com
Whatsapp: +234 806 990 3410