The Federal Government says it is not aware of any $875 million ammunition deal with the US.
Daily Trust had reported how Foreign Policy highlighted the action of US lawmakers on the proposed sale of 12 AH-1 Cobra attack helicopters and accompanying defence systems to the Nigerian military.
- PODCAST: Human Trafficking: ‘Nigeria Must Ditch Its Infamous Record’
- What widow of Super TV CEO said about him at his funeral
Reuters had quoted three sources as saying the deal was blocked over concerns about possible human rights abuses by the Federal Government.
But speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, described the reports as “fake news”.
The minister said there was no contract of such nature between Nigeria and the US.
“There is no contract of arms between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the United States of America today apart from the 12 Super Tucano Attack Helicopters of which six had been delivered.”
“We are quite satisfied with the progress and cooperation that we received from the government of the US on this issue.
“As a matter of fact, six of the Tucano helicopter will be launched on August 3, this year.
“We are not aware of the so called 875million USD arms contract or some helicopters which they said some lawmakers in the US are trying to persuade the president of the US not to honour
“The relationship between Nigeria and the US is smooth and waxing stronger,’’ he said. (NAN).