At least two persons were killed when a gas exploded within the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL) in Abeokuta, Ogun State, on Thursday morning.
The library is a short distance away from the hotel where gas explosion killed four persons two days ago.
- 4 killed as explosion rocks Gbenga Daniel’s hotel
- Explosion: Gbenga Daniel’s hotel closes operations to honour victims
Conference Hotel where Tuesday’s tragic incident occurred is owned by former Governor Gbenga Daniel of Ogun State.
The explosion at OOPL occurred around 11:am at the Marcque event centre within the Presidential Library.
Daily Trust gathered that technicians were topping up gas in the Air Condition (AC) when it exploded.
“Two people have already been confirmed dead, ” a worker at OOPL told our correspondent.
The two gates leading into OOPL were shut when our correspondent visited.
Security guards at the gate turned visitors back, as only the truck of the State Fire Service and some officials were allowed into the premises.
Daily Trust reports that the incident brings to four, the number of explosions recorded in the state capital in the last one week.
The two occurrences of gas explosion last week claimed three lives.
Last Wednesday, three persons, including an infant, were burnt to death in a gas explosion that occurred in Oke-Egunyan, along NTA Road in Abeokuta. A technician was topping up the gas of a faulty refrigerator when the incident occurred.
Barely 24 hours after the incident, another gas explosion occurred on Mercy Road, Panseke, Abeokuta, where a technician, Sanya Shonde, was injured, leading to the amputation of his leg.