Boko Haram: Governor seeks intervention as Geidam residents flee homes | Dailytrust

Boko Haram: Governor seeks intervention as Geidam residents flee homes

Yobe state Governor, Mai Mala Buni, has sought for special military intervention to safeguard Geidam  town which has been under persistent attacks from Boko Haram insurgents.

Daily Trust reports that Geidam residents are currently fleeing their homes in numbers as Boko Haram attacks hit harder in the town for two consecutive days.

It was gathered that the insurgents were sighted around Fulatari area in the eastern part of the town, forcing people to vacate the area since Saturday.

The attackers first struck in the town on Friday evening but they took cover following airstrike by the military.

Daily Trust reports that attackers cut off both Airtel and MTN masts in order to execute their mission.

A local source, who escaped to neighbouring village, Kabir Gaidam, confirmed to our reporter in a telephone interview that “People are just heading into bushes with no idea of where to go”.

According to him, both aged people and children were trekking distance to find safety, saying some have collapsed half way.

He said, “This is fasting period, but we had no option than to break our fast to this hardship, we can’t withstand this hot weather with long distance trek without food and water.

“We patiently stayed indoors for over 22 hours whether the insurgents would leave but to our surprise they keep on advancing their mission with low resistance from the side of security forces.”

Another resident added that, “They almost capture the town, because they are positioned in almost all the locations.

He said, “Government and security forces need to sit up. The situation is beyond issuing statements from Abuja.”

The development is coming after military in a statement Saturday signed by its spokesman, Brigadier General Mohammed Yerima said its inflicted heavy casualties on the terrorists.

The governor of the state, Mai Mala Buni had also said efforts are  being intensified to curb the incessant attacks.

Buni in a statement signed by his Director-General Press and Media, Mamman Mohammed assured to work closely and to support the security agencies to find a new approach to safeguarding the lives and property of the citizenry.

According to him, the governor had been liaising with security authorities to find a lasting solution to the resurgence of attacks on the community.

He urged people of the state to use the holy month of Ramadan to continue to pray for Allah’s mercy for the state and country to have a lasting peace.

“Meanwhile, the State Emergency Management Agency SEMA has been directed to provide the people with relief materials.” The statement added.

Dear Reader,
Every day, we work hard to provide readers such as you with the most accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive information. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Your support means that Daily Trust can keep offering journalism to everyone in the world. Donate or sign up for as little as N1,000 to become a member. Learn more about our membership here

Bank transfers can be made to:
UBA Plc
1007117397
Media Trust Ltd


Inquiries:
Email: membership@dailytrust.com
Whatsapp: +234 806 990 3410