America President-elect, Joe Biden, has nominated a Nigerian born legal practitioner, Adewale Adeyemo as the Deputy Treasury Secretary of the United States.
He will serve under former Federal Reserve Chair, Janet Yellen, who Biden nominated as the Treasury Secretary if the US Senate confirms her.
- Zabarmari attack: Borno governor wants foreign mercenaries back
- Slaughtered Borno farmers did not get clearance to farm — Garba Shehu
Below are 10 facts you need to know about him:
1. Adeyemo was born in Nigeria and raised in Los Angeles County, California.
2. He earned a Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Berkeley, and Juris Doctor from Yale Law School.
3. Adewale Adeyemo served as the Deputy National Security Advisor for International Economics from 2015 to 2016 and Deputy Director of the National Economic Council senior international economic adviser to the former US president, Barack Obama.
4. He served as the Director of African American Outreach for the John Kerry 2004 presidential campaign and was based in the San Francisco office.
5. Prior to joining the Obama Administration, Adeyemo worked as an editor at the Hamilton Project.
6. He served as senior advisor and deputy chief of staff to Jack Lew in the United States Department of the Treasury.
7. Adeyemo later worked as the chief negotiator for the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
8. He also served as the first chief of staff of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau under Elizabeth Warren.
9. He was selected to concurrently serve as Deputy National Security Advisor for International Economics and deputy director of the National Economic Council in 2015, serving until 2016.
10. On August 1, 2019, it was announced that Adeyemo would serve as the first president of the Obama Foundation.