Four members of a family were Friday confirmed dead as a result of the high voltage supply of electricity in Kofar Gayan Low Cost, Zaria.
Confirming the incident to our correspondent in Zaria, Mohammed Umar, the head of the Fire Service unit in Kofar Doka, Zaria said the fire outbreak occurred in the early hours of Friday.
Umar, who could not ascertain the cause of the incident, however, said it was speculated that it was caused by an electric spark.
An eyewitness and neighbour to one of the deceased, Safiyanu Aliyu, said the incident claimed the lives of Alaramma Mohammed Sani, who is an imam at Buhari’s resident, his wife, Raulatu Sani and two of their children, Hashim Sani aged 8 and Fatima Sani aged 1 and half years.
- I’m ready to become the Amanpour of Nigerian journalism – First class female graduate
- Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, Kwankwaso not fit to rule Nigeria – ADC
The neighbour, who attributed the cause of the fire incident to the high voltage of the electricity supply being restored to the area around that hour, described the incident as unfortunate.
Also commenting, a member of the vigilante group in the area, Bello Haruna explained, “We were on patrol when we saw fire engulfing the resident of Alaramma Mohammed Sani and we all rushed to render assistance.
“I also blamed the sudden restoration of electricity to the area, which came in high voltage as the likely cause of the incident,” said.