The Federal Government has announced that services along the Abuja–Kaduna rail corridor would resume on Monday, December 5, 2022.
The Managing Director of Nigeria Railway Corporation, Fidet Okhiria, told the News Agency of Nigeria, on Thursday that all was set for the resumption of the services.
Okhiria, however, advised passengers wishing to utilise the service to commence updating of their mobile app from December 3, to enable them to successfully book the ride.
According to the NRC boss, the services will commence with two train rides from Abuja-Kaduna and vice-versa.
Passengers travelling to Abuja abducted in Kogi
UDUTH to begin kidney transplant 2023
“AK 1 will depart Idu Station at 9:45am and arrive Rigasa Station at 11:53am. KA 2 will depart Rigasa at 8:00am and arrive Idu station at 10:17am. AK 3 will depart Idu Station at 3:30pm and arrive Rigasa Station at 5:38pm. And KA 4 will depart Rigasa at 2pm and arrive Idu Station at 4:07pm.”
The NRC boss assured its esteemed passengers of the Federal Government’s commitment to ensure safety of lives and properties on board its train at all times.
NAN reports that the Minister of Transportation, Mu’azu Sambo, during the test-run of the train on Sunday directed that Nigerians without a National Identification Number would not be allowed to board the train.
The minister said the security measures to be put in place before the commencement of services was 90 per cent completed.
“I think we are 90 per cent ready as far as what we are set to do is concerned. The remaining 10 per cent I am sure would be achieved in the next couple of days for full resumption of train services.”
“Your purchase of a ticket requires you to provide a phone number and a national identification number in order to profile, because that is the beginning of the security checks.
“So, at any point in time when a train moves from one station to another we know who and who are on board. If you don’t have a NIN, you are not going to board our train. It is as simple as that. If you are a minor, an adult will pay for you and will register for you and an adult can only register for not more than four minors,” Sambo said.