✕ CLOSE Online Special City News Entrepreneurship Environment Factcheck Everything Woman Home Front Islamic Forum Life Xtra Property Travel & Leisure Viewpoint Vox Pop Women In Business Art and Ideas Bookshelf Labour Law Letters
Click Here To Listen To Trust Radio Live

Abuja Disco fined N18m over 8-yr old electrocution

The Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) has been fined N18million after an electrocution of an 8-year old Faith Yakubu at Anguwan Dodo, Gwagwalada in the…

The Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) has been fined N18million after an electrocution of an 8-year old Faith Yakubu at Anguwan Dodo, Gwagwalada in the Federal Capital Territory, within its distribution franchise area. 
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) in a resolution, uphold recommendations of its Panel Report of Accident Investigation which found the Distribution Company (Disco) liable of negligence.
“AEDC shall pay N18million as compensation to the family of Faith Yakubu and communicate same to the Commission accordingly.
“AEDC should ensure that the surviving four month old child undergoes medical check-up in a recognised hospital and evidence presented to the Commission for further directives,” a statement from the Commission yesterday said.
But the spokesman for the Disco, Mallam Ahmed Shekarau said NERC was yet to issue any official communication to the AEDC over the fine.
He said, “NERC has not communicated to us but we are aware of the unfortunate incidence that happened and have been showing our sympathy to the victims’ family. We actually reported the incidence to the Commission when it happened.”
NERC said the accident occurred when a staff of AEDC disconnected the wire feeding Yakubus’ residence over allegation of accumulated bills and left the wire lying on the ground even as he failed to disconnect supply from the transformer.
The deceased who was on errand with the surviving baby, grabbed the wire in an attempt to cross over the naked wire when she got electrocuted. The baby on her back survived the accident.   
The Disco was directed to carry out regular safety enlightenment campaign in accordance with the Nigeria Electricity Safety Manual and Nigeria Electricity Safety Code.
It was directed to train its staff on market regulations and ensure that its Marketing Units are provided with competent technical staff to connect or disconnect customers appropriately.
 In September, a power cable snapped and electrocuted an undergraduate, Oluchi Anekwe at the University of Lagos campus. The Nigerian Electricity Management Agency (NEMSA) faulted the Eko Disco for negligence.

VERIFIED: It is now possible to live in Nigeria and earn salary in US Dollars with premium domains, you can earn as much as $12,000 (₦18 Million).
Click here to start.