7 family members die after consumption of barbecue in Abia | Dailytrust

7 family members die after consumption of barbecue in Abia

Seven members of a family have died after consuming barbecue and juice at a community in Umuahia, capital of Abia.

The incident happened in Umueze Umuakanu in Umuahia North Local Government Area of the state.

According to reports, all the family members, including extended family who came for holidays ate the barbecue which the Father of the house, identified as Mr. Jessey, bought.

They were said to have started throwing up after eating the meat suspected to have been poisoned

The two surviving family members are currently receiving treatment at Federal Medical Centre(FMC), Umuahia, while the deceased have been deposited in the morgue

Meanwhile, Abia State Government said it has received a report on the sad incident.

In a statement made by the Commissioner for information and Strategy, Chief John Okiyi Kalu, said Governor Okezie Ikpeazu had directed authorities of the hospital where the surviving family members were treated and discharged to ensure a comprehensive autopsy for those who lost their lives.

The government also called on citizens and residents to maintain vigilance and remain law abiding.

Dear Reader,
Every day, we work hard to provide readers such as you with the most accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive information. Quality journalism costs money. Today, we're asking that you support us to do more. Your support means that Daily Trust can keep offering journalism to everyone in the world. Sign up for as little as N1,000 to become a member. Learn more about our membership here

Bank transfers can be made to:
Zenith Bank
Media Trust Ltd

Please send details of your bank transfer to the email or Whatsapp number below so that we can contact you.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Email: membership@dailytrust.com
Whatsapp: +234 806 990 3410